Sunday, June 22, 2008

After Reiki

Had a Reiki session the other day, my first. I found it both relaxing and uplifting. Literally, as I imagined myself soaring, like an eagle, above the canopy of a forest. A huge snow-capped mountain filled the horizon while I wheeled about.

Since the Reiki, I can't get this image out of my mind. Curiously, I keep reading references to eagles. Today, another instance of this synchronicity. I recently borrowed Selected Non-Fictions of Jorge Luis Borges, one of my favourite writers. In it there is an essay called The Simurgh and the Eagle. This erudite piece contrasts the emblematic figure of the Eagle from Dante's Paradiso (Canto XVIII), with the mythical Simurgh of the Sufi poet Farid ad-Din Attar, in his Conference of the Birds.

Proper literature abounds with cross-references and reinforcement of images and ideas. The artist takes ideas from experience, 'synchronous' events, and matches them to his or her intelligence. Then imagination creates the structures of prose or poetic fiction to add to the whole (of literature). Simple? It can be, or we can make it as complicated as we like. The fact is, there is no explanation for life that doesn't include the fantastic.