Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Progress report

Those nice people from Dell have sent me a new computer - well OK, I did have to pay for it - and I've got my desk back. In essence, I didn't have a desk before, just a piece of furniture to put the old computer monitor on. The great CRT monster sat there for five years, in space I was meant to be writing on, collecting dust and goading me. I shuffled around the house looking for a place to write: sometimes clearing the dining table; or perching on a bed upstairs; occasionally shivering in the garden watching my papers blow around in the breeze. Never, ever in the place that was most suitable; the desk. Yet now the beautiful 19" flat screen monitor sits on a mere corner. The 'box' sits on the floor and the cordless keyboard and mouse (look no wires!) can be put away in seconds. The whole liberated expanse of fake mahogany then beckons to me; use me, use me, use me.

That's progress. All I've got to do now is find something to write about.
Post a Comment